The most debated and deliberated thing going viral on Facebook post Women’s Day is pictures of several Indian girl holding, kissing and having bottles of liquor on Women’s Day. They were not drinking though. It even made it to the headline of one of Malaysian Tamil local daily, sinking it to a new level of low. Well, the local Tamil dailies publications are hardly thought provoking and cogent. Their level of publication is like KOSMO or Metro, thrashy and sleazy materials which will guarantee excitement for the average, unthinking Indians. This publication IS NO DIFFERENT.
The credibility of this news of Malaysian Indians girls drinking is questionable
While the Tamil newspapers and the admins of Facebook pages who hype up the pictures of these girls presumed drinking alcohol, source from Google states otherwise. (I am unable to find the source though) The source says that the girls poised to indulge in drinking are not Malaysians, they’re Indian nationals from Sri Vidya College of Engineering, Sivakasi, Tamilnadu, India.
But, of course no one cares about the credibility of this news. All they want is seemingly wayward Indian girls to police and assassinate character in any way, this one, being drinking. How some people would go to any lengths just to portray themselves as righteous, superior and holier than thou revolts me to the bottom of my gut.
Let’s look what Hinduism says about DRINKING
Hinduism doesn’t prohibit drinking like Islam; Hinduism merely discourages alcohol consumption. The below are what I found on Hinduism’s stance is on drinking, source, ASK YAHOO because I don’t want to make anything up:
- There is nothing that is banned in Hinduism. You are responsible for your actions and you will get the results (good or bad), that is the karma theory.
- Hinduism does not forbid anything. Also just drinking alcohol does not get you bad karma. Some Hindu gods like intoxicants some don’t. Hint, Muniswarar, Kaliamma.
- What is important is that through stories, it is always told that moderation is key anything in excess can cause problems including drinking alcohol and other intoxicating substances for that matter which will induce unconsciousness, unawareness, seizing the power of differentiation, rationality, fair, sound judgment, positive thinking, focus and productivity. It spoils one’s good habit and is bad for health. Normally people get addicted and waste their money and energy on it. For a balanced, peaceful living, alcohol is prohibited by Hindu scriptures.
- Hindus believe that God is not separate from his creation. They are one and the same. There is no evil. All is good since all is God. Life is an endless cycle of reincarnations until a person is able to escape it and merge into Nirvana, nothingness. To break this endless cycle of birth, death, and reincarnation, it is necessary for a person to do charity and meditate to reach a higher consciousness. The practice of yoga in its various forms is considered very important to reach this goal. The devotees in the strict yoga groups are forbidden to eat meat, eggs, and fish. They are forbidden any forms of intoxication; no alcohol or drugs. No sex outside of marriage is allowed. And, within marriage, it is only to produce children. Neither is gambling allowed. You can also find alcohol being used in religious occasion in orthodox Hindu groups.
- India is a Hindu majority country and the sale of liquor is the highest revenue earner for the Government in India. Need I say more? Drinking alcohol does not result in bad Karma if done in moderation. The Hindu deity Kaal Bhairava is served liquor as reverence and it is a Hindu ritual to drink alcohol in the deity’s honor.
- Hinduism doesn’t prohibit drinking. If you read the Vedas you will find innumerable references to Soma. In fact Indra in referred to be a great lover of Soma and references are made to offering Him Soma as part of the Yagya.
- Hindus are advised to refrain from intoxicants and consuming Non veg food. However doing both is not always an automatic sin. It all depends on how much an individual is interested in spiritual progress.
- The whole taboo against alcohol came to Indian Hinduism with the Muslims. It is forbidden in Islam you know and the Muslims ruled India for ~800 – ~1000 years.
- All Hindus except the caste Brahmin’s are allowed to drink alcohol (Somras) but only on certain prescribed occasions , like fighting war ,while hunting etc not for merely enjoyment and getting drunk.
Brahmins are also forbidden to transcend the boundaries of Baarath and I have a Brahmin friend from India who works in UK. The Indian mathematical prodigy Ramanujan was also a Brahmin but he went ahead to Cambridge. Why did my friend and Ramanujan did the unthinkable? It’s because they didn’t they risk being left behind and not make any progression. Culture intertwined with religion should evolve to suit present times’ relevance and to think we are making several Indian girls drinking a huge cultural breach issue speaks volumes of our stagnant and rusty minds.
Did anywhere in Hinduism mention that Hindu women should not drink? It only states ‘individual’ and that means it encompasses both sexes. From where did we get the idea that Hindu women should not drink? The other day, a guy called me a ‘stupid women’, ‘stubborn women’, ‘idiot’, ‘stubborn dog’, ‘shame to say you are Hindu gal’, just because I refused to add him back due to his foul mouth. Not very different from the policing of the drinking Indian girls in question. It’s patriarchal establishments that restrict Indian Hindu women, there’s a set code of moral on what they should and should not do and they’re not divine injunctions, they’re very much corporeal and done by keeping women subjugation in mind.
Culture and drinking Indian women
I’ll let Kamal Hassan do the ice breaking before I proceed to rip the masks of the so called culture protectors.
So, you’ve seen several Indian girls drinking and enjoying themselves within four walls without disturbing anybody, not wreaking a havoc and mostly silent, not engaging in tipsy public tussles and break the heads of other Indians and they spoil Indian culture. WOW. Hip Hop Tamila goes, “Club le mabbu le thiriyire pombele, ennadi nadakuthu SenThamizh Naatule, lady, ellarukum vanakkam ngge, lady, maanam parakuthu ngge.” Many Malaysian Indian guys use the latter lyric whenever they see Indian girls do something that is perceived as out of line, in this case, drinking. Mamak kadai le nalla kudichitu public ah sande podura appo maanam parakeleya?
My grandma and atte drink so they are spoiling Indian culture.? The elderly ladies drink because it helps them sleep, in very small amounts but drinking is drinking whatever reason it’s done. My cousin sisters drink at home occasionally, when there’s celebrations. The only difference here is that they weren’t exposed and these girls were by someone who broke their trust. I am certain that the girls would have set privacy and someone stole them and released them under the clamour that Indian girls drinking defiles Indian culture. Are you going to leave your work and find each and every girl who drinks and police her?
In the name of protecting Indian culture, we have made jaga tepi kain orang lain and sibuk hal orang lain or more precisely, jaga tepi kain gadis India our culture. This is regressive and mostly unnecessary. This is a non issue if you ask me. They drank, without disturbing anyone and here are Indians, going out of their way to condemn these girls. Tell me avungge kudicha ungge kudi moolghi poiduma? Avungge kudicha ungge veetule soru ponggatha? Avungge kudicha neenge exam le fail aiduvingela? Avungge kudicha unggalukku AIDS varuma? Ille, unggalukku enna nu kekren??
Let me tell you one thing, those who drink, either male or female have no right to libel these girls. Those who don’t drink also do not have the right to mudsling these girls because it’s their individual rights. Have no bloody balls to condemn gangsterism, Indian prison population as opposed to other races, Indian guys chopping up each other in public, funeral of gang members that intercept traffic, Indian school dropout rate, Indian guys who drink and then fight with each other in public, domestic violence and other problems that make other races here literally spit on our faces but only have the cowardice to condemn a bunch of girls who drank on Women’s Day, as per the newspaper’s title. Because Indian culture is most important. I say minding your own bloody business is most important.
And, stupid and far from perfect moral polices have a field day condemning these girls when they themselves drink and indulge in all kinds of debauchery. Let’s all leave our work and go uphold Indian culture. Athu tha rombe mukkiyam. Kalacharam tha nammalukku soru podum. Our very future depend on Indian culture.
Culture is devised by humans so by all means it’s alterable. Look around, the world is shrinking and by hanging onto rigid culture and petty issues like girls drinking, we are not going to progress. Just because you are on a diet, doesn’t mean I can’t have a cookie. You all condemned Muslims who opposed Octoberfest right but now, what’s the difference between you and Octoberfest criticisers? Nampak tak hipokrit gila babi?
Kudika kudathu na kudika kudathu than. Liver cirrhosis and alcohol related illnesses don’t play by gender – they affect anyone that drink, gay, lesbian, bisexual people who drink also kena. Aan enna, penn enna, nee enna, naa enna, ellam oru inam than. Mooditu poyi veleye paarungge yah! Vanthutangge veera vasanam pesikittu.
Drinking is harmful to health
For me, drinking means digging your grave by yourself, earlier, be it guys or girls. Do you people know what you all, regardless of gender should do? Follow the caveats that are aired before any Tamil movie starts. Drinking and smoking is injurious to health. Smoking and drinking cause cancer. You all are educated right? All have brains right? Then why the hell you indulge in harmful habits and also gain a bad name, ‘India mabuk’ among the other races then only blame girls as spoiling Indian culture by drinking? Of course, Indian guys drinking in public and then trashing each other uphold Indian culture so well, it deserves datukship.
You will glorify Tamil songs that glorify alcoholism like the below and then blame Indian girls drinking as spoiling culture.
The onus of protecting culture is gender blind just like liver cirrhosis and pancreatitis due to drinking don’t have gender bias. Alcohol doesn’t care if you have a penis or a vagina – it’s destructive effects is the same for every drinker immaterial of gender.
Drinking and smoking don’t equate as gender equality
To Indian girls who drink and smoke just to be equal with Indian guys, let me tell you that it’s a shame for feminism and common sense. Drinking and smoking are stuff that are detrimental to health and they don’t account as gender equality attainment.
Please use your bloody brains before drinking and judging Indian girls who drink. Drinking is a matter of compromising of your health, not a matter of Indian culture compromise. Peekay hey kya??!!