Now, the only thing on the minds of Malaysian Indians on social media is Isai FM to come into being as the 3rd Tamil radio station in Malaysia.
Funky Shankar is a Singaporean Indian who made a big name in the Malaysian Indian entertainment scene. He started out as a DJ in THR Raaga where he earned eminence. He was missing from the Malaysian Indian entertainment scene for more than a decade. Funky Shankar is back now with a bang, advocating for a third Malaysian Tamil radio station, Isai FM.
Funky Shankar opines that since Malaysia has the largest Indian diaspora, Malaysian Indians deserve to have a 3rd radio station. It will promote healthy competition, he says and it’s his steadfast belief that 2 Malaysian Tamil radio stations aren’t enough.
Why a third Malaysian Tamil Radio Isai FM is needed
According to Funky Shankar on why Malaysia needs a Tamil radio station is because there are many Malay, English and Chinese radio stations but there are only 2 Tamil radio stations that cater for all Malaysian Indians, Minnal FM and THR Raaga. One of them, THR Raaga is not even 24 hours as THR Gegar and THR Hindi Power take space in all the 24 hour duration of the day.
That’s not the only reason. Funky Shankar believes that Isai FM will be different and hit the right chord with people and other causes:
Isai FM will adhere to world radio law where ad time allocation is 15 minutes per hour. Existing Tamil radio stations air way too many ads especially THR Raaga to the point of annoying listeners. Isai FM also offers cheap advertising, charging a marginal fee. This is Isai FM’s initiative to give everyone an opportunity to advertise their businesses and products.
Fulfilling music content – Isai FM will offer a wide range of music and song content. No replaying the same songs over and over again. And, hopefully no censor of words like ‘ganja’, ‘thooku kayiru’, ‘rum’, ‘beer’, etc. It’s not likely Malaysian Indians will spoil if they hear such words. Naangge enna pacha pulleya? And, more music and less yakking. Isai FM aspires to have only 3 minute interval talk every 3 songs in every show.
Programming of Isai FM will be on a different level – one never seen or rather, heard before. Fun and engaging programs and DJ listener interaction will be scintillating.
No prerecorded shows pechi in Isai FM. All shows will be aired live.
Malaysia has latent talents and Isai FM will strive to bring them out then up by giving them opportunities. Funky Shankar has given a covenant that he will personally train & polish them.
Isai FM will be a milestone in the history of Malaysian Tamil radio broadcasting
Isai FM has ambitious plans which will set it apart from other Malaysian Tamil radio stations:
- International collaboration. Shows at Isai FM will be aired in FM stations overseas. Funky Shankar already has a FM station in another country expressing interest in sharing shows.
- Deejays of Isai FM will have superstar status. They will be made celebrities.
- Many may not know it but radio profit is very lucrative. On that basis, Isai FM will give back to society by allocating 30% of its net profit monthly which will amount to few hundred thousand $$ a month. Imagine how we can uplift our society by that amount of money. If this plan comes into being, Isai FM will have the name of the first radio station in the world to do something like this.
- Radio is one of the best ways for info to reach people and Isai FM aspires to forge unity and prosperity in Malaysian Indians. Isai FM will be a platform to build new entrepreneurs. It will also propose for ex convicts and drug addicts to have a new lease on life. Isai FM will feature towering Malaysian Indians in any field to inspire, create awareness and benefit the general Malaysian Indian population.
- Isai FM will host live band shows – instrumental shows.
- Isai FM will use simple and easily understandable Tamil rather than highbrow Tamil. However only pure Tamil will be used, without the infiltration of English and slang words.
- There will not be an excess of advertisements and jabberwocky in the name of product promotions at Isai FM. Advertisements will be kept compact and concise.
- Isai FM will promote local talents to the world. That will be done via an agency set up by Isai FM to do overseas shows that will promote Malaysian Indian performers.
- Isai FM will support local Indian films and promote them. Will also hold more local star and award shows.
Isai FM is owned by the public. The check and balance of profit and cost will be 100% transparent and online for 24 hours. Investors can invest in Isai FM at a low cost and actually earn.
Isai FM will be managed by Funky Shankar. His vast experience in the Asian radio industry will help take Isai FM to greater heights. If Isai FM comes into being, it will have the name of the first Indian/Tamil radio station to go on air at public support.
This is a promise made by Funky Shankar to Malaysian Indians. Let’s see how Isai FM materialises. We at Retamil wish Funky Shankar all the very best!